Saturday, June 28, 2008

Stiffy

Plans have been up since last month in making a hinge for the bob seat I have installed. Up till now it's been screwed tight under the tank. Quite an list of to-do's for the day: paint the welding table, fix the bike's true, clean it for tomorrow, and fabricate this thing. I've already got scraps of steel in my bin, and starting off with just the manual saw told me that it's not really the best way to finish things within the day. So I went the noisy way and halved the damn thing with my metal cutter for a good 30 minutes. Thanks neighbors :)

After some initial tests with the right amp to use, I'm off and running straight till 630PM when the sun sunk earlier than usual and rain started crying down. Happy though, that I finished what I started, and it came out good. I was pleased. Used to have problems with burn-through before but after applying what some good folks advised me at a meet I joined, the L joints yielded good beads with just the right amperage. The steel melted just right and fused good when I dipped the rod. Tested the thing with some hammer blows and not a crack. Anyway, when you're doing something you really like make sure to remember to eat somewhere in the middle. I was so far off into it my tummy was doing the salsa.

Sprayed on temporary paint since I have to strip it off again when I weld the final attachments. Here's the pre-final product welded with the screw hinge mock up stage - and after tacking up before drilling. Not your usual off-the-shelf company manufactured part, but it's simple, efficient, sturdy and most of all, work that came out of my hands. I wasn't intending it to be pretty - the goal rather was it should look industrial and hand-built. I reckon it passes well with that in mind :)