Sunday, October 18, 2009

Reflections

Coming home from a friend's wake, just as I've always done, I made it a point to think about what I've just seen in that casket. I see nothing morbid about thinking about my face beneath that glass, my name on that obituary. See the date of my death. Ah, I used to think wakes are about the person who died, but then I realized it's about the people who were left behind. How they're gonna accept this, or move on, or cope, or manage to stand on their own feet now.

Reality.

Whether one accepts it or not, it simply is. There really is no point in striving to become the best or the greatest, or to have the most and be recognized. You're born, you live, you die - people talk about you for that brief week and they bury you - then life goes on. What's sad is that this is the story of most people.

Life's journey is about living out your calling, not in the daily 9 to 5. I can barely remember something about someone's wake I attended 5 years back or more. I ask myself who among those wakes I've attended can I recall something about how they lived the most? There was nothing lasting to remember them about. Or if ever they've imparted anything, it's nothing you haven't heard of before.

If I would've just left this as a picture post, I would've accomplished nothing but present a small extravaganza. But there is always something to learn even from the most tragic of situations. For now, it's not something that anyone would care enough to hear. On my part, I need to ensure that when it's my time to go, I would've done something that would outlast me. But until then, I am immortal till my work on this earth is done.