Monday, September 7, 2009

Frisco'd :: Ending

I couldn't help but think everything I needed to setup my midcontrols was right under my nose. Salvageable from the very part I wanted to replace. I should have started on it months ago.



The shaft that ran from the foot brake down to the first pivot was 2 inches over. Cut. Weld. Bend to the right angle. Pushes and functions like before. Nice. I was supposed to go to the boys for some help with the acetylene but after redoing the studies, it was more efficient to have the foot lever closer to the peg: less down travel, quicker response.



Cutting the bent portion off saved me time and unnecessary expenses. I still managed to preserve the bend upward by cutting into the bent portion and re-welding it to the main instead. I decided to leave the tig weld as it is and not grind it out, makes it look more hand-made. Doing everything in-house permits you to make sudden changes and last minute refinements.



A 3-inch tube with a socket wrench bit shoved into it finished the lever. Still found use for my old generic rubber grips, slid it on and used it for cover. Fits well too.



It functions perfectly. To chrome or not to chrome? Looks ratty in its raw form. I'd probably just clear coat it after grinding the scales off. All that's left is to road test it. Wet roads, alas..